Meta tags remain those ‘invisible’ tags. They offer various data about your website to your visitors, as well as to the search engines. In a way, they allow the search engines to interpret what your content is all about. Thus, they are more than vital for good quality SEO services.
The Most Vital Meta Tags
Meta Tags help to improve your search presence and enhance authority. Together, they contribute to the better ranking of your company website. Though there are different types of Meta tags, you might want to skim through a short checklist to get started:
- Title Tag: The title of your webpage gives a preview of the overall content of your website. So make sure that the title tags remain descriptive, yet precise.
- Meta Description: Appealing, relevant and accurate Meta descriptions provide more detail about your content.
- Robotic Meta Tags: Your SEO service provider would manage the web pages that the crawlers of search engine access on the website. This is done by taking them via the robots Meta tag. To ensure that you use robot Meta tags, this will make the crawlers manage the pages in the way you want.
- Alt-text- Utilize them in your images. They would describe the visual contents of your web pages.
- Canonical tags: They help you to get rid of the issues that come with duplicate contents that might affect the overall ranking.
- Headers (h1, h2, h3, and the like) – They allow the search engines to comprehend the real topic on each of the pages. If you use them with care, then they would strike a perfect balance between the total SEO value and reading experience.
Using Other Tags
Apart from the above-mentioned Meta Tags, you can also include the following:
- Noindex: Adding them to any particular page would hinder the search engine crawlers to index the given page. This comes handy if you want to make some of the pages private.
- Open Graph Meta Tags: Facebook introduced this feature way back in 2010. It offers a certain degree of control over the data transfer from a 3rd party website to the social media, particularly when the concerned page is liked or shared. You can use this features to different social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Twitter, and G+.
- Google News Standout Tag- this allows you to tag breaking news or exclusive information from your website.
Bonus Meta-tag Optimization Tricks
You might get some practical help in the form of these meta-tag optimization tips:
- Try not to overdo things. That is to say, use a unique meta-tag description per page.
- Ensure that you produce unique contents. Avoid duplicate content across different pages.
- You can start the Meta Tag descriptions with the assistance of the most important keywords.
- Try to avoid the repetition of keywords. Remember that the presence of a unique keyword or a keyword phrase is more significant than keyword density, especially when meta-description is concerned.
- Monitor the web-search listings regularly. See whether Google is making use of the snippet of the actual content of your page, instead of the content of your page’s meta-tag content.
- It is more than essential to initiate a call of action. It would encourage your visitors, as well as the calls to click on your website. They might sign-up for your services eventually.
- Make it short and sweet. The length of your meta-tag description would ideally not go beyond 155-200 characters.
- Make sure to use web tools and search analytics. This would keep a check on content duplication and its length.